Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Fathers Day

Picture of me and my Dad in 1960



My how things have changed over the last 45 or so years. When I was growing up we had a party line and before you started dialing you had to listen and make sure the neighbors were not on the line. If it was an emergency then you had to ask if you could use the line to make your call. Emergency calls were not 911, you had to actually know the number. So everyone had the numbers posted next to the phone. My father had several heart attacks while I was growing up. It became natural for our family to do what we could while taking my father to the hospital.




My Dad on his Harley around 1940





I miss my Dad who died from one of those heart attacks in 1982. He taught me many things about life and most importantly to be fair and honest with your fellow man. He taught me how to work on all types of things from toasters to trucks. My Dad grew up in tough times and was forced out to take care of himself when he was very young. My Dad taught me to work hard. I can remember when my Dad would load up his speakers and PA system so he could announce the little league games I played in. I was talking to one of my classmates from the class of 1969 and he reminded me of how special it was to have my Dad there and announcing the games. My Dad would be so impressed with the technology of today. Today you don't have to call people to tell them hello, or how are you doing, you just text them. I am still fond of the old way where you still talk to people.

I am thankful for my kids and all of the blessings they give me in my life. I hope that I can pass along some of the great things I learned from my Dad to his grand kids and great grand kids.
Thanks Dad-------------Happy Fathers Day

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing those AWESOME pictures and memories, Dad. You are such a wonderful father, and you HAVE done many things for your children that they will always hold in their hearts. Thank you for loving my family and loving me. You are one of my best friends, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE, love, love those pictures!!! Like father like son. wink! You know why I love you... becuase you BIG and you BAD and your my BIG BAD DAD!!! I love you tons!!!!

    ReplyDelete