Monday, July 20, 2009

Tour de Paris



Last Saturday I had the opportunity to help with the Tour de Paris here in Paris, TX. There were 800 cyclists that raced in the 15K, 40K, 70K, and 100K races. To help with the event were 450 volunteers. I was one of the volunteers with the local amateur radio club, and we provided communications through out the course. My station was near the end of the race at a road crossing. We were lucky at our location and had no events to report, and all went well. At another location there was a crash that caused several riders to be transported to the hospital. I believe the injuries included broken collar bones, and a possible concussion.


I was so impressed when the lead group of the 100K race went by me. After 70 miles of racing this lead group was around 20 cyclists, and were in perfect tempo at a very fast rate. It was as if a car had just passed with a pronounced swoosh.




When I was setting up my shade, generator, fan, boom box, radios, and getting ready for the long day I was assisted by the missionaries who came by before starting their day of teaching.


I enjoyed this day and I think it is a great opportunity for the community of Paris Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment