Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back to the Mountain



Every year around the end of August I try to make the trip back to the Mountain. The mountain is located near Mena Arkansas and is the home of Queen Wilhelmina State Park. From the time I was 10 years old, and we moved to Cove Arkansas, which is located about 15 miles south of Mena. I have always been intrigued by the lure of this mountain. Of course the over two hundred hot rods and classic cars that are there at the end of August does not hurt either.










I can remember when I was young my Dad would load us all up in the VW bus we had, and we would take out on trips through all the back roads up and down the mountains. I was always drawn back to Rich Mountain where the State Park is now located. The lodge started back in 1898 as a resort for the Queen of the Netherlands. It has decayed, burnt, and been rebuilt to the current lodge. You can learn more about this State Park by going to http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/history/default.aspx



The trip up the mountain was fun this year as Casey (my niece's son) and I drove up in the 1955 T-Bird. Just to drive around in this old classic will take you back in time.


I look forward to the trips back to Arkansas. It is a time to remember the good times, and sometime the not so good times. We all need a rock to draw us back into our history, and remind us of where we have been, and who was with us when we were there. My rock is a mountain in Arkansas called Rich Mountain.

1 comment:

  1. Some of my favorite childhood memories took place on that mountain. OH, I love that big rock and hope to take my sweet little ones to it one day... maybe... just maybe.
    BIG HUGS

    ReplyDelete